Click on photos to enlage. Photo credits: Brad Holland, Anthony C. Tareg, PMA
Excerpt from Red Cross International:
“On 27 March, super typhoon Maysak brought widespread destruction to islands across the Federated States of Micronesia, killing five people and leaving thousands displaced from their homes. Chuuk and Yap States bore the brunt of the typhoon, which lashed the Pacific island nation six days. Winds reaching over 200kph and torrential rains caused extensive damage to property, infrastructure and agricultural production.
Both Chuuk and Yap are under a state of emergency as efforts to assess the scale of the damage continue. Getting accurate information has been challenging due to power outages, damaged communications systems and the fact that many islands are only accessible by boat. ” >>Read more
Please help the victims of Super Typhoon Maysak in the outer islands of Yap and in Chuuk.
WAYS TO HELP
- JOIN us on Saturday, April 18, 2015, 5:00 – 7:00 pm at UH Hilo’s UCB 100 for the film screening and panel discussion of the new documentary, “At Home While Away.” We will also discuss the various ways to help in the typhoon relief efforts.
- CHECK: Make a tax deductible donation to “Micronesians United – Big Island” and write in the memo: “Maysak Relief Fund” and send to the MU-BI Treasurer, Micaela Lewis Aizawa, PO Box 5451, Hilo, HI 96720.
- ONLINE: Make an online donation to the following funds:
- Outer Islands Yap Fundly Account (managed by Yap-based Brad Holland): https://fundly.com/typhoon-maysack-relief-yap-outer-islands
- Chuuk: TBD
- BRING: We are collecting nonperishable canned goods, waters, rice, flours, tarps, and small hand tools such as machete, saws, hammers, and nails, flashlights, batteries. Please bring items to the film screening on Saturday.
Unless stated otherwise, all donations will be divided among the local relief efforts in Chuuk and Yap.